Our newest mini exhibit, “The Beaver 1923: Oregon State’s Campus 100 Years Ago“ is on display in the alcove outside our Reading Room on the fifth floor of the Valley Library. In this new exhibit put together by Public Services Assistant Anna Dvorak, she shares a glimpse of what campus was like a hundred years ago. Inspired by the surprise she experienced when she found a photo of the tennis courts in the Memorial Union quad, the new exhibit is centered on a map of campus. Anna selected images that show things that no longer exist on campus and photos that show how campus has changed over the years.
When walking around campus, much of what we see on the Oregon State campus today seems like it has been a part of campus for a long time, but what wasn’t on campus in 1923?
- The Memorial Union (would be completed in 1929)
- The gates at the east edge of campus (construction began 1939)
- The Valley Library
- Weatherford Hall (completed in 1928)
- Gill Coliseum (completed in 1949)
- Plageman Student Health Center (completed in 1936)
- Even the Pharmacy Building wasn’t completed until 1924!
Campus is always changing and evolving. What has changed in your own time as a student? What will campus look like in another 100 years?
All information in creation of this exhibit was found in SCARC portals, including: