Blog #7

Thoughts on Capstone:

I think the Capstones curriculum should be changed. First, the classes need to be in a sequence, which I was not advised so I ended up waiting a whole year before restarting. The class gives us theoretical experience in the actual work field, but my question is why can’t we get actual experience? I transferred in from Mt.Hood CC as a junior and was advised it was too late to apply for Meecop because it is typically done as sophomores. If we were setting Capstone projects as internships like in Meecop, I believe it would help people find work and expand their network giving them more opportunities in the future. For example, I have a friend that got a position as a cloud developer with a business degree. He studied computer science for 2 years, went through Meecop, and then switch to business. After graduating struggled to find work as a business analyst due to a lack of professional experience. Out of the blue, his old manager from his internship reached out and told him that he is switching companies and needed to build a team. My friend failed the interview and was still offered a cloud developer position with a pay of 180k. For how much we are paying for school, the university should help us set up careers. I think making capstones mandatory internships could solve this problem. There is a stigma that going to college equals getting a good job and pay, but this is not the case. Im mad that kids are going into debt to study material that is free online and not guaranteed some type of professional experience preparing them for their dream jobs.