Week 2 – Blog Post: Experiences with Discrimination

1. Would the outstanding claims of discrimination change the way you felt about the company? Would it influence your decisions to support that company? Would it change whether or not you applied to work for that company in the future? Why or why not?

Outstanding claims of discrimination would definitely change the way I felt about any company if the claims are true. I would even be cautious if there were claims against a company because I do not want to support companies that discriminate. For example, if I found out a clothing company I like was discriminating against their employees then I would no longer support the company. It would overall just feel wrong to continue to buy and support a company like that because it would feel like I am also contributing to that discrimination by continuing the support. Knowing that I once supported a company like that would also make me feel really uncomfortable. This is because I only want to support companies that have similar values as I do. It may not be the exact same, but as long as the company is doing the right thing then I feel comfortable supporting them. 

Discrimination claims would change whether or not I applied to work for a company in the future. This is especially true if the claims were proven true. If a company has had claims in the past, but have gone through a lot to rebuild and show the company has changed then I could potentially feel different about it. For this it would depend on how recent these claims were and what the company has done with these claims. If they double down on how they were “right” and not show they see what they did was wrong, then I could never feel right working for a company like that. I only would feel okay applying to work for a company if they have shown change and actually done the work to change. 

2 responses to “Week 2 – Blog Post: Experiences with Discrimination”

1. Sarah Ginney Avatar
    Sarah Ginney

Hi Rebecca,

I like how in the beginning you mentioned that you would make sure the accusations are true. I think fact-checking is an important step in society today and people often forget that not everything you see on the internet is true. I also think that finding out a company that I once loved treated people with such negativity would make me super uncomfortable. It would be an unfortunate situation to hear a company I supported doing such horrible things. Thank you for your post!

2. Nate Shuster Avatar
    Nate Shuster

Hello!
    Just as another commenter mentioned, fact-checking is extremely important in many aspects, typically regardless of the context. In my own post, I agree with you that I would no longer have the desire to work with that company. I want to have no association with discrimination or any sort of negative connotation that may destroy my reputation. Within our careers, it is especially important to remain honest and ethical. This also means inclusivity, equity, and equality within the workplace for all individuals. Great work and have a good one!