A maintenance release was pushed to production for Search, version 0.3.1.
For those who haven’t noticed the capabilities of search, look at the options, if a word is typed in, there may be some suggestions offered. At the bottom is related searches, if you misspell a word, you may see a “Did you mean…”. Also, domain search has been added to the Advanced Search. Did you notice these changes? We implemented all this in a front end, meaning we look at the features Google has, create an interface to the appliance, and then place things where we need to place it. The front end also serves a dual purpose, if for future reasons, the backend, aka the Google Appliance is replaced, we simply rewrite the front end to work with the new back end. More importantly, the front end allows us to do other certain aspects, like implement our feedback module.
Now with a front end, it also means we may have minor bugs, which is why we release the maintenance version for minor bugs. It may simply be things like formatting, or some case we did not handle that the appliance handles.
We’ll be continuing to look at enhancing search, and integrate other aspects with it as we move ahead. There has been minimal feedback to date, and without feedback, we cannot know how we can improve it. So if you have a comment let us know.
Thanks! Your Central Web Services Group