Week 2 Blog Post: Experiences With Discrimination

The accusations of discrimination this company faces have one hundred percent changed how I view them. When supporting companies or any of their business ventures, I try to look and see how they treat their employees, the surrounding community, and the public in its entirety. To hear something like this has taken place at a company I support, I’m extremely disappointed and have changed my opinions on both supporting them or ever wanting to work for them in the future. Of course, there are feelings of betrayal, but supporting the company further is out of the question. There are always replacements and sometimes even upgrades to products or services that we’re usually infatuated with, and whatever they were offering here surely isn’t worth funding the discrimination of different ethnicities and cultures. As far as working for the company, there are no amount of benefits or pay that could entice me to work for a place where my coworkers were being treated differently than I was for reasons that have nothing to do with the work they put out. I’d find it embarrassing to tell people I work for this company as well, assuming that their public image has already been tarnished in some way, shape, or form. Even if I had felt previously that I would really want to work for this company, if they’re also discriminating against a belief system that I strongly believe in or feel a part of, then it would be career suicide to still jump into their system. Something preached to us daily at Oregon State is how important inclusivity is, and I refuse to back down from these beliefs that have been instilled in me for a mere paycheck.

3 responses to “Week 2 Blog Post: Experiences With Discrimination”

1. Stefanie Thelin Avatar
    Stefanie Thelin

Luke,

I agree with your position on the matter; however, I have a question regarding your blog post. It appears to me that you may have arrived at a conclusion prematurely without accounting for the complete set of circumstances. Would you be inclined to arrive at the same outcome, after ascertaining whether or not there exists any substantive evidence of the alleged discrimination? If you have already taken into account that there is relevant evidence, then your reactions and viewpoints are valid, and I appreciate your perspective on the matter as I have the same outlook should there be concrete evidence indicating discrimination.

In today’s world, it is not uncommon for most companies and workplaces to exhibit some degree of discrimination, whether it’s based on gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other factor. While such discrimination may not always be intentional, it can still create a hostile and unwelcoming environment for employees who are subjected to it.

However, when discrimination is done intentionally, it becomes unacceptable and intolerable. This is because it not only violates the rights and dignity of the affected employees but also undermines the core values of equality and fairness that are essential to a healthy workplace culture.

In such a scenario, the course of action that I would take would depend on the context of the situation and the significance of the company or workplace in my life. If the discrimination was severe and pervasive, I would most likely reconsider my support for the company or workplace, regardless of its importance in my life. On the other hand, if the discrimination was isolated and the company or workplace had a good track record of addressing such issues, I would consider working with them to rectify the situation and ensure that it does not happen again.

Stefanie

2. Michael Valdez Avatar
    Michael Valdez

Hey Luke,
    Good post. I really like how you contrast the potential of above average pay and benefits against discriminatory practices and choose to stay your ground. I think it speaks volumes to character and the fact that you would rather work for a company that values honesty rather than make better money, etc.

3. Charles R Mossiat Avatar
    Charles R Mossiat

Luke,

I enjoyed your post, especially how confident you were in backing your view on the subject matter. Right out the gate you use the term “would one hundred percent change my view”. I fully agree and the way you backed up your opinion further solidified my views as well. Inclusivity is a primary importance in the workplace and it is great how you tied it back to a common ground we share, Oregon State. Good job.