Oregon State University|blogs.oregonstate.edu

A month on the job as a software engineer

February 18th, 2022

A few days ago I marked my one month anniversary as a software engineer. It has been quite exciting and interesting up to this point as making a career change always comes with its challenges. Some days tend to be more exciting than others and the same goes with the tasking. Not every task I will be assigned will be fun, however I am learning and realizing that each task is an opportunity to learn and grow.

Getting more familiar with the codebase and project as a whole is going in the right direction. Participated in my first demo in the last sprint which was exciting. Was not expecting to present however the product owner was pleased and my task was closed out as a success. I am glad I am getting early exposure as I believe it will only help with my confidence.

The team I was assigned to have been great thus far. They are all very capable individuals who have not hesitated to help me out or answer a question I may have. Most importantly, they have made me feel welcomed and have significantly eased my transition into this new role.