Oregon State University|blogs.oregonstate.edu

First task in the bag

January 26th, 2022

So I began my first task a few days and I am quite proud of myself for being able to complete the task ahead of time and without much fanfare. Granted I did need some guidance from one of my co-workers in regard to utilizing the proper setup and tools for the job, the insight I gained was invaluable and something I will definitely use to complete future tasks.

Prior to leaving the office a few days ago I made an attempt to discuss about possibly participating in a task from this week’s sprint with one of senior engineers on the team. However I was advised it would best if I instead familiarized myself with the code base considering I had only been on the job for a few days. I accepted the assignment and understood. However in the daily standup the next morning, one of my teammates who was not made aware of my duties from the senior engineer, gave me a task to complete on the spot. I will admit I was a bit nervous, but figured I would to be thrown into the fire sooner or later to better acclimate to the job.

The task I was assigned with was pretty tedious considering it involved rewriting legacy code and algorithms to conform with a new software update that would be released with an updated external tool. Fortunately, I took good notes and took the time to really figure out what member function called what from what class and reviewing header and source files over and over. To be honest, it took me more than a few hours to get acclimated with a branch of code that contained numerous changes that I would soon need to partake in.

After a few confident hours of realizing what I needed to do and what I would need to refactor and create, I began to write out a plan for myself to better set benchmarks in my build process. I had an idea however writing out my thought process really helped closing the gaps in what I needed to accomplish. Next, I spent hours refactoring and writing code to meet the expectations I created. Plus I got exposed to a valuable lesson in regard to ensuring that I declare a function in each child class once a pure virtual function is declared in a base class. I made the mistake of declaring a member function in only one child class and not the others thus leaving me to make some revisions.

Finally after many instances of testing my code and ensuring it worked accordingly before pushing the code to the repository, I made the mistake of not pulling the last code changes before pushing my code. Thus, I learned another lesson and spent another few countless hours fixing the issues until my code finally ran accordingly with the last pull. Thankfully, I was finally able to push my changes and although I have not yet received feedback, I am grateful I was able to complete the task and anxious to hear feedback on my method and results.