Things To Keep You Busy During Quarantine

Now that we have covered the funnier stories students have done during quarantine (seeĀ here), I want to talk about the activities you can participate in during this pandemic to help effectively pass the time. While so many Americans have been laid off due to no available hours at their place of work, we are all riding the same struggle of figuring out what to do with so much time. It’s almost funny when we are busier during the days we hope for more time, and now when it is finally here, we have no idea how to deal with it! As some work on those summer projects they’ve continued to put off for years, the rest of us are left stamping our foot and looking around our houses for what we can do next.

Sunny Days – Activities Outdoors!

As someone who went from full-time hours to nothing, it took everything in me to not lose it. I am easily impatient when I cannot find something to do, and on the flip side, I am extremely prone to migraines, making excessive screen time a huge problem for me, and have struggled with anxiety and depression for years. Being alone and not able to go out to just be amongst people, is draining on my soul. Therefore, this called for a solution to find activities I can participate in alone, that will keep my spirits up, and my days rolling by. I started out with the basics of what I’ve always wanted to accomplish but had “no time” for. This is actually a great method and if you grab a pen and some paper, you will probably surprise yourself and be able to write a hefty list. Most of the things I wrote down required little to no money, which is important if you are no longer involved with work. If you are able to obtain a temporary job, then you may be able to spend a little extra here and there. Things such as picking up around the backyard, trimming trees, scooping up debris, mowing the lawn, planting flowers, creating a garden, and pulling weeds are all low cost/free and require a good amount of energy to get your blood pumping but also get you in the great outdoors. Npr.org is a great site that explains the understanding of COVID-19 and tips on how to effectively get started on your own garden patch right outside your door!

Other days when your knees hurt and you’re wanting to get out and about, some states are still allowing you to go for walks or hikes. If this is something applicable to you, there are so many places you can find, even in the city, that aren’t too far away and can suffice for a beautiful way to get out and about. Taking a mask with you and maybe some disposable gloves, you are able to get out in the fresh air and make sure you’re still keeping your body healthy and active. For those who may not be as fortunate to still be allowed quite as much freedom, can look into options such as driving coastlines or closer to home through scenic routes around their neighborhoods.

Indoor Opportunities

I’m somebody who doesn’t always get along with nature. With bees, rain, and now people, it makes it difficult at times to be in my favorite scenic spots if too many are nearby or if the weather isn’t so permitting. In that case, I have found a few ways to stay occupied inside! I rearranged my boyfriend’s room the other day, hung some things on the walls, and deep cleaned the house from the kitchen to the living room. This took quite a few days to accomplish and once I was finished I decided to make a normal routine of sprucing up the frequented areas each morning after I wake up. This creates a nicely cleaned atmosphere, and Cdc.gov shows you have to create bleach solutions for homemade antibacterial wipes or store-bought – if I’m lucky! Wiping your entire house down especially during this pandemic is crucial, and making it a routine to add to part of your day is still a few minutes of you killing some time, but also being productive with it. Once the house cleaning has finished, I love to look into ways to keep my body active and in shape, this can be referring to the above through walks or jogs, or also staying indoors and doing a home work out, or steady yoga. This is not only so good for your overall health but aids in reducing stress, anxiety, and depression.

Take time to yourself to reflect, build a vision board, drink lots of water, and better yourself during this time. Whether it’s sitting in the sun or building that shed outback. Recently states are starting to open up and laws are being lifted – this will not last forever, but keep being smart, and being safe!

A Healthy You Is A Happy You!