Principles of Wildland Firefighting (Wildland Firefighter Basic Training)
This hybrid guard school (Firefighter Type 2) utilizes National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG) and Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) online curricula, coupled with instructor-led online discussion sessions and in-person, hands-on exercises to qualify participants as entry level wildland firefighters. Students work independently to complete NWCG and FEMA online modules prior to discussions. Zoom “classroom” sessons add content depth and discussion opportunities. Field sessions build key skills in safety, teamwork, fire behavior and fire suppression. The course includes a fire shelter deployment practice session and a Work Capacity Test (WCT) opportunity. Successful completion results in nationally recognized certification and qualification as an entry-level wildland firefighter (FFT2). Covers S-110, IS-100, IS-700, S-190, S-130, and L-180 courses. Available concurrently in credit and non-credit versions.
College Credit Version
Principles of Wildland Fire is available Spring Term, 2023, as a 3-credit FOR408/508 workshop course.
- Undergraduate course: FOR408 section 1
- Graduate course: FOR508 section 1
- View the credit course syllabus for details and participation requirements
- Subject to OSU tuition, fees, and registration procedures
- Course will be managed through Canvas
Just want the FFT2 qualification? The non-credit version is for you.
Spring 2023 non-credit course now in progress
- Register here for the non-credit FFT2 course (registration opens January 1, 2023)
- Meets concurrently with the academic credit students (but some sessions are optional for you)
- View the non-credit course syllabus for details, links, dates, etc.
- Cost: $50 (payable by credit card or OSU index)
- Zoom link and other details will be provided upon registration.
Watch for Fall 2023 non-credit course information. Anticipated to be offered September, 2023. Contact Punches if you need this to meet the prerequisite for Prescribed Fire Practicum.
- Zoom Sessions. (Required for academic credit students. Optional for non-credit.) Tuesdays, April 4 through June 6, 2023. 6:00 to 7:20 p.m. (Pacific Time Zone)
- Fire Behavior field session (Required for academic credit students. Optional for non-credit.) April 23, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Shelter Deployment , Work Capacity Test, Fire-lines and Hose-lays. (Required for all participants or contact instructor for options.) May 14, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Live Fire Exercise. (Required for all participants.) May 21. 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Field sessions meet on the OSU campus, at Richardson Hall, at the Hatfield Courtyard (west side of Richardson, across from the Forest Service research lab)
- From this point we’ll carpool to field sites on or near the McDonald and Dun research forests, north of Corvallis
- Vans provided for credit course students (and non-credit as space allows)
Questions? Contact John Punches, course coordinator.