Vick’s Capstone Adventure: In the End-Game now

Yes, the title is supposed to be a reference from the Marvel movie Avengers: Endgame.

So, here we are, almost near the end. It almost seems like yesterday that we had just started this course. It has been a very busy semester for me. Both in terms of school and also in terms of my work life. I work as a Sofware Developer and over the last few weeks, there have been talks about layoffs all over the industry. It has kept me on my toes for sure. We also had a lot of issues with our project deployment through cloud hosting. I am proud to say that I was able to handle it all one thing at a time.

As for schoolwork, I prioritized this class over my others because I truly want to make something I can show off afterwards on my Resume. So it all started when we started hosting our database work on Google cloud. Things were great at first and we had it all connected and working through google cloud environment. First, it was the website hosting that gave us issues so we switched to hosting on Vercel. It was working great up until we had to implement our database, which started giving us trouble again. All our works is functional locally but just not when it is being hosted. Hence, debugging has been a huge part of my work for the past few days. It was also unforunate that overnight all of our google credits got used so I had to pull the plug on the hosting in order to avoid getting charged for any extra recurring costs. Lesson learned: Always read the fine print for cost when hosting online. I had also requested access to OSU’s database so we have that as a backup if Google cloud’s database doesn’t start behaving accordingly.

As for the fun stuff: I went on a short trip to Miami and it was a much needed break. Well, I kind of had to because otherwise I would have lost my vacation days. I guess that is what I get for being a workaholic. So on my trip I learned that alligator meant tastes a lot of chicken with salt water and sunscreen is a very high commodity resource in Florida! Especially if you are driving down to Key West. Also, I also came across chickens that could fly! I’m talking up climbing up tress and getting together to roost at 7 AM. Definietly the complete opposite of the life I am used to here in Toronto. I sure miss it. I think I will treat myself to another trip like this once I am done with OSU’s program. T – (1 month) left to go!

If you have put up with my blogs thus far, I wish you luck and success in your career!

This is Paramvir (Vick) Gill, signing off.