Vick’s Capstone Adventure: Hello World!

Welcome to the first-ever blog post of my capstone adventure! If you have found your way in here, I am sure you are interested in learning more about me, my background, or my project. I will be going over the first two things in this blog post as the project has not been decided yet (but will be soon!).

So, who am I and what’s my background? Well, first, I want to assure you that I am a real human and not a bot. And as a human, I have made mistakes and equally learned as much. I was born in India and did the majority of my growing up in Toronto, ON Canada, where I currently reside. I learned a lot about cars at a young age and got interested in Mechanical Engineering at a young age. Around the same time, I grew to love art of any form. I started sketching, mimicking drawings that I would find in magazines (back then Internet was not that big of a deal). I began collecting cards, and comics and got addicted to video games and became more curious about how those things are made. Back then I didn’t let this curiosity lead me to my career. But rather, I looked at what I was already good at and enrolled myself in a Bachelor of Engineering program in Mechanical Engineering at my local university. I learned a lot more than anticipated and the curriculum in Engineering is no joke. I crawled my way out of this degree and into a Master’s of Science program in Mechanical Engineering. I did my research on automotive combustion engines but the industry was slowly shifting to electric vehicles at this time, so I shifted my attention to jet engines and the aerospace sector as a whole. I worked on helping to make jet engines in the Combustion Aerodynamics section for about 1.5 years before the pandemic happened and as a result, I was out of a job very soon. This is when I realized that I was chasing a career that was not meant to be and my energy could be going towards the curiosity that drove me to play those video games as a child. Soon after this, enrolled in OSU’s program and here we are almost 2 years later!

I am glad I went through the experiences I did because it makes me appreciate the life I have today that much more. I have learned that everything happens for a reason. As of now, I am working as a Software Developer at one of the biggest investment banks in the world and I am a semester away from graduating. I still collect cards, video games and toys, just like I did as a child. I have an awesome dog named Luke (I named him that so I can always say “Luke, I am your father!”…Star Wars reference, anyone?). One new hobby I have developed this year is travelling…a lot. My most recent trip was to Cuba and my next one will be to New York for the annual Comic Con next week. Oh! and I still sketch once in a blue moon whenever I get a chance. Here is one of my more recent ones below. I’ll let you guess the character.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed typing it!