January 4, 2018: Day 2 i Norge

It’s Day 2, and we are working on the jet lag. We had started shifting our wake-up and bedtimes before we left so we had a jump on it, but a 9-hour difference is a lot! We managed to stay awake until 9pm last night. Ted was up in the middle of the night; I made myself go back to sleep several times. The kids were up at 4:30 (although awake at 3:00, they say). I had to drag myself out of heavy sleep at 9am and get up to force the jet lag adjustment.

The kids were ready to sled and were suited up when I got up. Note that it is 9:15am in the pics and the sky is starting to lighten. The pics are the view from our patio (we are on the 2nd floor). I kept worrying that they were disturbing other people, but reminding myself that the world is awake! And our patio doors do a good job of keeping the sound and cold out.

There are a few other pictures of our apartment. We unpacked everything and stored the suitcases (much quicker than packing!) and rearranged things a bit. It is a comfortable size, not much smaller than our house. We have all of the basic furniture and linens, most of the kitchen things that we need, but we will find out what we are missing as we need it. Then it’s time to get creative. Our apartment didn’t come with towels. I picked up 2 bath towels yesterday, but we will need a few  more.

In the afternoon, Ted went in for a work meeting about the class he starts to teach next week. The kids and I went to the nearest shopping center to get more groceries and see what else is there. They used their ski scooter to and from for fun. As is usual in Norway, we just left it outside of the store when we went in. I pointed out that all of the other bikes and the “spark” (kick sled) that was at the bike rack were not locked up either. It’s Norway!

I emailed the school today and they are expecting the kids on Monday. Anders and I spoke Norwegian in the grocery store and he tried to pick up on other people’s conversations, so he is nervous. Nora insisted on speaking Spanish to me in the grocery store (sigh). At dinner she gave Anders the helpful advice to just cheerfully ask the teacher “what?” if you don’t understand what they say. She has experience with not understanding in school. They will be fine!

[click on pictures for a larger view]

About Christy Anderson Brekken

In no particular order... Instructor and Researcher, Department of Applied Economics, Oregon State University. Educational background: University of MN Law School, 2005. MS in Ag and Resource Economics, Oregon State University, 2011. Teaches: Agricultural Law, Environmental Law. Mother: brilliant 9 year old boy; brilliant 6 year old girl with benign myoclonic epilepsy on a modified ketogenic diet therapy. Married to: Ted Brekken, OSU Department of Electrical Engineering. Ride: Xtra-cycle Edgerunner with kid seat; 400-pound cargo capacity. Grew up: Devils Lake, ND. Lived in: Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, Pohang, South Korea, Trondheim, Norway, Corvallis, OR. Interests: Cooking, knitting, eating, yoga, laughing, hiking, traveling, staying sane.