Blog Post – The Case for Recruitment and Selection

An organization might prioritize allocating resources to marketing strategies or product design because the costs associated with it are more easily seen and laid out. Same goes for the benefits and sales it will bring into the company. These are clearly defined numbers, so organizations see this and decide to go in that direction. These companies think more in the short-term, what will get them money fast. Organizations can’t always see the value that is added by great employees, especially because it often takes a longer period of time to recognize. A lot of companies also think that they should focus on spending money externally, and less on the internal works of the organization.

One potential strength from prioritizing marketing over employee selection is that it creates brand awareness, and helps the company stand out to customers. Therefore, bringing in sales and a profit for the company. One weakness associated with not focusing on employee recruitment and selection is that the company will constantly have to hire and train new employees if they are seeing a lot of turnover. Word often gets around to potential hires if a company has high turnover rates and if past employees have disliked working there. I know this is true for myself. I worked at a grocery store chain, and I heard about another grocery chain in our area that had such high turnover and no one wanted to work there. Another weakness involved with not focusing on employee recruitment is that it will be very expensive to hire new employees so often, and their are a lot of costs incurred. Organizations could use the time spent on hiring new employees on other areas of the business if they just hired the right person from the start.

One reply on “Blog Post – The Case for Recruitment and Selection”

I liked you because they believe you have a name for themselves, that the company can concentrate on other aspects as well as on employee recruitment and selection. When writing my blog post, I didn’t even think about this. I find this an excellent point, that if the business is young and does not have many customers, they do not have the funding to pick and hire employees and may need to concentrate on raising their market share before they concentrate on employee recruiting. All and all, fantastic message! By reading this I learned a lot more about the topic!