Week 3: Job Descriptions

The last job I applied to was an internship at a large semiconductor company.  I was applying for a business analysis supply chain internship in the operations department.  The job description appealed to me because it related to a lot of the material I studied in class.  I was excited to use my knowledge and skills on a job that matched what I was going to school for. 

Some of the job description mentioned that I would need to use tools such as Microsoft PowerPoint, SAP, and Excel.  They had the minimum requirements that must have been meet in order to get an interview which included a field of study in supply chain, excel skills, data analytic skills, etc.  My experience in college prepared me for some skills but had never actually applied it in real life.  I used group projects in classes, and excel terminology to talk about and relate to some of the job description questions.

In some ways the job description was very different.  For example, some of the preferred requirements was 1+ year of experience in another data analytics job.   I did not have any of the preferred qualifications because this was the first main job I was applying to.  I had to rely on the minimum requirements and show and prove to the manager that I was capable of doing a job I didn’t have real world experience in. 

I do not have the original job description for this role as I applied to it in Fall of 2018.  I could also not find any recent job descriptions for my department.