Week 1 Blog Post: Job Application Experiences

Applying for a job and the hiring process can be stressful both from the side of the candidate and from the side of the hiring manager. I remember the most recent time I applied for a job, I submitted an online application and then waited. I found as an applicant most of the time you are waiting for a response. After about 2 weeks after I submitted my application I was contacted to have an over the phone interview. The interview consisted of ten questions and not much conversation outside of the questions which was intimidating. After I passed the first phone interview I was then invited for a skype panel interview. I personally do not like virtual interviews because I think that it creates a barrier between the interviewer and the interviewee and the whole process seems more uncomfortable and awkward. After this interview one month later I was offered the job, and I turned it down. The hiring process did not engage me in the business, I wasn’t able to determine company culture easily over the phone, and I felt like I was not important enough to have a full in person interview. As an applicant I felt undesired. I waited over a month after my interviews before I found out results which made me feel insecure that I got rejected. This process got me thinking about what it would actually be like to work for the company and I realized I no longer had the desire to work for that company. This taught me that recruitment plays a key role in people’s desire to work for particular companies.