February 11: Bymarka Skiing

We took the bus up to Bymarka today with half of Trondheim to cross country ski. It was a nice day and we had some new snow this week, but windy. Bymarka is the home of some of this year’s Olympic cross country skiers, including Johannes Hosflot Klaebo, a favorite to win several medals this year. We saw so many people, young and old, babies pulled in pulks (sleds), or in a kind of bike trailer on skis. There were also plenty of international students trying out the national sport as well, so we weren’t the only novices on the slopes.

Bymarka is a forest nestled among the hills around Trondheim, so there was very little flat out there. We did plenty of downhill, Anders does great and Nora got the hang of it. I was not ashamed of taking off my skis for a steep downhill. Ted and I both felt like our skis were not quite right for us, although I readily admit that I’m afraid of speed if I am not confident in my ability to stop. It’s not just the skis for me. And with downhills come uphills! Getting up a hill on skis is no small feat. We got quite a full-body workout. At the end Nora and I took off our skis and just hiked uphill in our boots too.

Trondheim’s ski culture is amazing, and the network of trails is incredible. There are also “hyttas” (cabins) and skistue (ski “rooms”) that serve snacks, have places to rest inside and bathrooms. You can take a bus up to one hub and ski to another hytta or stue that are served by another bus or tram service, so you can make a whole day out of it and don’t have to turn around and go back to your starting place. We talked with a family that was doing that today, but the trip was too long and uncertain for us for a first time out.

We got home in the early afternoon and took it easy. Now we are exhausted and happy for bedtime.

Now more pictures in the gallery (click one to start), some of them are by Anders.

About Christy Anderson Brekken

In no particular order... Instructor and Researcher, Department of Applied Economics, Oregon State University. Educational background: University of MN Law School, 2005. MS in Ag and Resource Economics, Oregon State University, 2011. Teaches: Agricultural Law, Environmental Law. Mother: brilliant 9 year old boy; brilliant 6 year old girl with benign myoclonic epilepsy on a modified ketogenic diet therapy. Married to: Ted Brekken, OSU Department of Electrical Engineering. Ride: Xtra-cycle Edgerunner with kid seat; 400-pound cargo capacity. Grew up: Devils Lake, ND. Lived in: Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN, Pohang, South Korea, Trondheim, Norway, Corvallis, OR. Interests: Cooking, knitting, eating, yoga, laughing, hiking, traveling, staying sane.