Blog Post #3 – The Midway Point

Welcome back to my Capstone blog! We’re roughly two-thirds of the way through the Capstone course and have only around four weeks left. Time sure flies! The group project is going very well so far, and the various pieces of the app are all starting to come together. Since the last post, we got the login and registration screens’ frontend (UI) and backend (database) up and running pretty easily, largely thanks to Firebase’s straightforward and easy-to-use authentication services. After that, we got three more screens (Dashboard, CreateList, and CurrentList screens) created.

Some of the difficulties I encountered during development were passing data (the user’s selected products, e.g., objects) between screens. I researched and considered a few options, such as passing the data as part of the navigation’s parameters, Redux, Context, and AsyncStorage. Initially, I thought using the parameters approach was the simplest and seemed to have worked, but after some research, it seemed like it was bad practice. Although Redux and Context were very possible options, the amount of data didn’t seem like it required such large tools (maybe if we’re to scale our app in the future, they would be preferable). In the end, I decided to use AsyncStorage for passing the objects and states as an array, using just one (key : value) pair. I tried assigning one (key : value) pair for each selected product, but I couldn’t figure out a way to delete the created keys. But with arrays, it seems like everything is working fine! This week, my goal is to think of ways we can implement and use ‘tags’ to help the users search and filter the products. I thought of an approach while watching Twitch streamers and saw their usage of tags. I might take their example and apply it to our app! We’ll see if I can get it to work!

Besides work and the group project work, I was playing Diablo 2: Resurrected’s new season ladder as a Wind Druid, but later swapped to a Hammerdin. But now, I’m kind of feeling bored with farming. I saw a lot of people playing Old School Runescape recently, maybe because there was a “Fresh Start Worlds” (new economy) just last week. Despite it being such an old school game, I actually never played it when I was a kid. I was into Starcraft at the time. But I’m actually feeling excited about giving the old RS a try!