HISTORY OF REVISIONS:
Revisions approved 12/16/2020.
Article II, Sec.5,
Article IV Sec. 6F
Article IV, Sec. 7,
Article V, Sec 1, Sec. 2, Sec, 4, Sec 8,
Article VII, Sec. 3
Article II, Sec.5, amended 4/5/2010
Article IV, Sec. 5h, Sec. 6 amended 12/16/2020
Article I – Name and Purpose
Section 1. The name of this organization shall be the “Wasco County Master Gardener Association” (WCMGA).
Section 2. The purpose of this organization shall be:
- To enhance and supplement the Oregon State University Home Horticulture Program (Master Gardener Program) in cooperation with the Wasco County Extension Office.
- To promote and disseminate garden information to the community and Master Gardeners.
Article II – Membership
Section 1. Classes and Voting: There shall be four classes of members of WCMGA; Active, Honorary, Associate and Lifetime. Those members in Article II, Sections 2 & 5 shall be voting members.
Section 2. Active Membership: Acceptance into the current Master Gardener Program shall include membership in both the WCMGA and Oregon Master Gardener Association (OMGA).
Section 3. Honorary Membership: Honorary members automatically include the Oregon State University Extension Staff engaged in the Master Gardener program. Honorary members are exempt from payment of dues, and may not vote or hold office. Extension Staff eligible for honorary membership who have completed the Master Gardener training and who otherwise qualify for active membership, may elect to pay dues and participate as an active member.
Section 4. Associate Membership: Associate members are persons who have completed the Master Gardener Program and continue to further the objectives of the Master Gardener Program including payment of current WCMGA dues. Associate members may not vote or hold office. Associate members must be approved by the Executive Committee and may participate in WCMGA events as they choose.
Section 5. Lifetime Membership: Lifetime members are persons who have completed 10 years of service and are currently enrolled in the Master Gardener Program. The association will pay annual dues to WCMGA and OMGA.
Section 6. Termination of Membership: Membership may be terminated by the Executive Committee after giving the member at least 15 days written notice by first class mail of the reason for the termination, and an opportunity for the member to be heard by the Committee, orally or in writing, not less than 5 days before the effective date of termination. The decision of the Committee shall be final and shall not be reviewed by any court.
Article III – Dues
Section 1. The fiscal and membership year shall be January 1st through December 31st.
Section 2. Dues shall be determined by the Executive Committee at the November monthly meeting and take effect on January 1st of the next year.
Article IV – Officers and Elections
Section 1. Titles: The elected officers of this association shall be President, President-elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Historian, State Representative and Alternate State Representative.
Section 2. Election: The President shall appoint a nominating committee for the election of officers. Elections are to be held in the fall. Officers shall be elected via postal mailing by a simple majority of those voting.
Section 3. Vacancy: Officer vacancies occurring during a term of office shall be filled by appointment of the President after the approval of the executive committee.
Section 4. Removal: An officer may be removed from office by the executive committee with a two thirds vote of the voting members present.
Section 5. Duties of Elected Officers: In addition to the duties stated elsewhere in these bylaws, the following responsibilities and authorities are assigned to the WCMGA officers.
- The President shall preside at regular and special WCMGA meetings and shall have the authority to appoint such committee chairs and members as necessary.
- The President-elect shall preside at WCMGA meetings in the absence of the President, and shall assume the office of President in the event that the President should be unable to perform the duties of the office. The President-elect will assume the office of President at the expiration of the current President’s term.
- The Secretary shall keep the minutes of the Wasco County Executive meetings, assist the President in conducting necessary correspondence, and perform related duties as requested by the President.
- The Treasurer shall have the custody of WCMGA funds, keeping a full and accurate account of receipts and disbursements in the books belonging to WCMGA. The Treasurer shall deposit all monies and other valuables in the name of and to the credit of WCMGA in such depository. The Treasurer shall be authorized to disburse funds approved and specified in the annual budget. The Treasurer is also authorized to disburse funds not specified in the approved annual budget when directed by action of the Executive Committee. The Treasurer shall provide a report of all transactions of WCMGA at each regular meeting or as required. The Treasurer will maintain and update the address database of all WCMGA Members, in accordance with OMGA. The Treasurer shall serve without bond.
- The Historian shall keep the historical records of the WCMGA. The Historian shall keep and maintain the albums documenting the activities of the WCMGA in accordance with the requirements of OMGA.
- The State Representative shall attend quarterly meetings of the OMGA as the WCMGA representative on the OMGA Board of Directors. The State Representative shall act as liaison between WCMGA and OMGA providing information and reports as required. “OMGA meetings are open to all Master Gardeners.
- The Alternate State Representative shall attend quarterly meetings of the OMGA in the absence of the State Representative and shall assume the office of State Representative in the event that the State Representative should be unable to perform the duties of the office.
- The Officer Trainee shall be elected to fill a position as needed, which is to be determined by the board before the election. (Not required to be filled.)
Section 6. Term: The term of office for board members shall be one year from November 1 through October 31, with the exception of Treasurer which will be a two-year term. A board member may be re-elected without limitation.
Article V – Committees and Meetings
Section 1. Executive Committee. The Executive Committee shall consist of all elected officers, and immediate Past President, these will act as voting members. The Wasco County Extension Agent will be an ex-officio members.
Section 2. Audit Committee: The Audit Committee shall consist of the President, the President-elect and one additional person appointed by the Executive Committee. The Audit Committee will conduct “an annual audit each February” and report results to the Executive Committee.
Section 3. Other Committees: The Executive Committee may establish such other committees as it deems necessary and desirable.
Section 4. Regular Meetings: Regular meetings of the Association shall be held at the time and place to be determined by the “Program Chairman”. Notice of regular Association meetings will be included in the monthly newsletter. The notice shall include the date, time, place and purpose of the meetings.
Section 5. Executive Meetings: Executive meetings normally will be held monthly at a date and time determined by the Executive Committee.
Section 6. Special Meetings: Special meetings shall be held at the time and place to be determined by the President or Executive Committee. Notice of such meetings, describing the date, time, place and purpose shall be delivered to each member by phone, email or mail prior to the meeting.
Section 7. Open Meeting Policy: All meetings of the Association, Executive Committee or officers are open to all current members of WCMGA and all are encouraged to attend and participate in the discussion.
Section 8. Quorum and Action: A quorum at an Association meeting shall be “the majority of the association members present.” A quorum at an Executive Committee meeting shall be a majority of the Executive Committee members. If a quorum is present, action is taken by a majority vote of those present.
Article VI – Amendments
Section 1. This Constitution and by-laws may be amended at any regular or special meeting by a three-fourths vote of the members present, providing the amendment has been reviewed and approved by the Executive Committee. Notice of the amendment shall be given to the general membership not less than 10 days prior to the meeting at which the amendment will be presented.
Article VII – Budget
Section 1. An annual budget proposal reviewed and approved by the Executive Committee, will be presented for comments, revisions and approval at the Winter WCMGA meeting.
Section 2. Any requested revision to the approved budget shall be reviewed and approved by the Executive Committee and submitted for acceptance at the next regular WCMGA meeting.
Section 3. The Executive Committee must approve any unbudgeted expenditures over $50.00 by a majority vote.
Article VIII – Dissolution of Association
Section 1. In the event that WCMGA ceases to function and dissolves itself, all assets, after obligations and expenses of WCMGA have been satisfied, shall be transferred to the OMGA, a tax-exempt organization. In no event shall any of the assets be distributed to any organization which does not qualify as exempt under Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 or its corresponding future provisions.