TED Blog

• Blog Post: IPIP Results & Reactions

Extraversion 80, Agreeableness 74, Conscientiousness 39, Neuroticism 14, and Openness to Experience 45 I agree with these results. I am often considered an extrovert on personality tests so that did not surprise me. I am also not surprised by the agreeableness, growing up in a large family we didn’t have a choice but to get…

• Blog Post: Typical vs. Maximal Performance

If I were in the shoes of the business owner, I would want to do a little more background research. For Avery, I would want to know what motivates them to do good work. Considering that they have a high-performance ceiling, I would consider hiring this person because they are able to come through in…

• Blog Post: Job Descriptions

It can be difficult for me to reflect on my most recent job because it is a very niche area. To clarify, I am a health-system pharmacy administration and leadership (HSPAL) resident. As you can imagine, the job description that comes with this position is pretty specific so there were not a lot surprises when…

• Blog Post: Experiences with Discrimination

Looking at the discrimination from an ethnicity, culture, or belief system as the main reason, I would change my opinion on the company. Ethnicity, culture, or belief systems are systems that can be chosen by each person. In my personal opinion, I believe that every person has a right to choose and nobody has the…

• Blog Post: The Case for Recruitment & Selection

Organizations may decide to allocate more resources towards marketing and product design, rather than employee recruitment because of the profits from their product, being more beneficial than the loss of salary in employees. This can be the case in some businesses, but not all businesses. As mentioned in the mini lecture, hiring a employee who…

• Blog Post: Job Application Experiences

The most recent job that I applied to was for a residency program. This is unlike many other jobs due to the nature of how it works. Programs are only available to students who are in their last year of pharmacy school and must go through a rigorous process of applying for these residency seats.…

Blog Post: The Case for Recruitment & Selection

Organizations may decide to allocate more resources towards marketing and product design, rather than employee recruitment because of the profits from their product, being more beneficial than the loss of salary in employees. This can be the case in some businesses, but not all businesses. As mentioned in the mini lecture, hiring a employee who does not benefit the company can end up costing the company thousands of dollars in training resources, potential human resources issues, and finding another employee to backfill all of the work that was not completed and to complete the work moving forward. For businesses that specialize in, having knowledge, it is more useful to do a good job in employee, recruitment and selection in order to retain employees that will bring the knowledge to the company. In companies that focus more on their product and do not need employees with longevity, it can be an option to allocate more resources to the product (i.e. companies with high employee turnover). In regard to potential strengths and weaknesses of prioritizing recruitment, this also depends on the type of business being done. By selecting a focus on other aspects of the business, it makes the assumption that the product, or other aspect of business, is more valuable than the employee. By focusing more of the employees, one can make the assumption that the company cares about the longevity of the business and aims to have competent and capable employees.

One response to “Blog Post: The Case for Recruitment & Selection”

1. Tiana,
    Your sentence about “By selecting a focus on other aspects of the business, it makes the assumption that the product, or other aspect of business, is more valuable than the employee.” is powerful and has stuck me as something I want to reflect on. I wrote something similar about a company that doesn’t prioritize its employees, may have trouble attracting high performing talent.