Survey Results and Weekend Updates

Another successful week for Shop at the Dock! The day started off with a heavy drizzle and for a bit, we didn’t expect anyone to show up. But the drizzle subsided and we had even more people show up than last week. Getting the surveys filled out has been a bit of a struggle, but we’ve started following up with an email, which has been really helpful.

orca

F/V Orca sharing stories with a tour group

triggerfish

F/V Triggerfish showing off a nice tuna

I’m completely floored by the positive feedback we’ve gotten from both surveys and in person. According the the surveys so far, almost 70% of participants bought seafood at Shop at the Dock and nearly 75% of participants spent money on other activities in the area. It’s amazing that this one educational program has brought an economic boost to both commercial fisheries and local businesses. Being a part of the Shop at the Dock events (along with the pressing matter of real adulthood) has had me thinking about what I want to do in the future. It’s really great seeing what a powerful tool education can be and I can definitely see myself working at the intersection of science and education.

This week, I came across an article about global fish production. According to a 2016 study by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, global fish production is approaching its sustainable limit.

Around 90% of the world’s stocks are now fully or overfished and production is set to increase further by 2025

As I mentioned in a previous blog post, sustainability issues can arise due to the lack of transparency in the supply chain and inadequate inspections, which makes efforts to find sustainably caught fish ever more important.

As for non-work related updates, this past weekend, some of the other summer scholars and I went to Crater Lake. The color and clarity of the lake was absolutely stunning and almost unreal. We also visited Toketee Falls and Hot Springs, which were lovely and warm and definitely worth a visit!

craterlake

Crater Lake, you are unreal

hotspring

Toketee Hot Springs

Thanks as always for keeping up. More updates next week! As we’re already halfway through our 7th week, I’ll finish this post with a song by Flaming Lips- “let them know you realize that life goes fast; it’s hard to make the good things last”.

2 thoughts on “Survey Results and Weekend Updates

1. That is wonderful news that the rain didn’t keep away potential customers for the event! In Oregon we certainly have quite a few fair weather fans, but with weather being so unpredictable on the coast most people don’t mind the rain/fog/clouds even at the end of July! Glad to hear that these events have been such a success!

2. I really enjoy your reflections on your summer’s experiences and how they relate to your next steps. Maybe include some of these realizations in your final portfolio? PS I love that Flaming Lips song!