Winter storms and holidays limited the number of finding aids completed during December… But there were still guides written for 5 collections, including 3 new collections (received in 2012) and 2 map collections. Arrangement and Decription Archivist Elizabeth Neilsen says “we will return to our normal pace in January,” so be looking for an even bigger list next month!
Ben Westlund Papers, 1976-2010 (MSS Westlund)
- This collection documents Westlund’s political career in Oregon. Ben Westlund served as a State Legislator and State Senator from central Oregon from 1997 until his election as State Treasurer in 2008, a position he held until his death in 2010. Westlund advocated for higher education in central Oregon and was instrumental in the establishment of the Oregon State University-Cascades campus in Bend. The collection includes a full range of formats including photographs, videotapes and DVDs, compact disks with digital photographs and sound recordings; and born-digital materials on floppy disks.
Leland F. Skillin Collection, 1935-1973 (MSS Skillin)
- These materials document Skillin’s work as a mechanical engineer with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and Willamette Iron and Steelworks from the late 1930s through the 1960s. Skilled worked on the design and construction of several dams in Oregon. The collection includes 55 photographs.
William H. Taubeneck Papers, 1881-2010 (MSS Taubeneck)
- These papers consists of materials generated and assembled by Bill Taubeneck during this course of his research and teaching career at Oregon State. Taubeneck earned his BS and MS degrees in Geology from Oregon State College, completed a Ph.D. at Columbia University, and was a faculty member in the Geology Department at Oregon State from 1955 until his retirement in 1983. The collection includes 550 photographs.
Crater Lake National Park Maps, 1903-1962 (MAPS CraterLake)
- This collection of 17 maps includes topographic, shaded relief, and bathymetric maps of Crater Lake, Oregon, and vicinity.
Native American Maps Collection, 1875-1972 (MAPS Native)
- These maps depict the Warm Springs Indian Reservation in north central Oregon as well as reservation lands in the United States. An 1875 map of native tribes in Alaska is also part of this collection. The collection includes 64 maps.
All these guides are available through the NWDA finding aids database as well as on the SCARC website. MARC records for the collections are available through the OSU Libraries’ Catalog, Summit Navigator, and Worldcat.
All “new” collections received in calendar year 2012 now have a finding aid available through the SCARC website and NWDA as well as a MARC catalog record. As of December 27, 2013, the OSU Special Collections & Archives Research Center has 721 finding aids in NWDA.