A Fall Seattle Day

It’s a rainy Thursday morning in Seattle. All last night there was a constant muffled rhythm of rain on the roof of the house. Perfect weather for a hot cup of coffee, turning the furnace up a couple of degrees, and working on some homework before heading in to work this afternoon.

A cheap economic barometer:
Peet’s coffee is usually my go-to for moderately priced, large batch, buy it anywhere coffee. The reliable workhorse. But as of this week the price has doubled since no more than two years ago. It used to be that you could buy a twelve ounce bag of Major Dickason’s for $5.99, occasionally $6.99. First the standard bag size was cut back to 10.5 ounces and over the last year and a half or so, the price has slowly risen and sale prices would become less frequent on this particular brand. But this week, I was truly shocked to see the same bag of coffee selling for 11.99 at the grocery store down the street where I’ve done most of my shopping for years. I settled for Seattle’s Best Coffee, which, it is not.

The Coming Week:
This is going to be a busy week for the project. We are at the point of working through the image collection problem. My tasks involve working on the image stitching and layout creation methods. It’ll be a fun challenge working with some tools that I’ve never used before to assemble the photos that we’re taking. To do this I’ll be using OpenCV Image stitching to merge overlapping photos. This is straightforward enough for our uses but does come with some constraints such as being sensitive to order and orientation. However, it gets challenging when considering that there may be more than one distinct group of photos that will be taken in a program run. We will need to be able to stitch together each group and then arrange them together as they are truly laid out with gaps filled with empty space in the final image. It looks like there are some tools which will help to create the image, but to derive the layout we’ll also need to use the recorded coordinates the images assign a reference point for each stitched image to specify the layout. Just a generalization of some of the initial thoughts.