Oregon State University|blogs.oregonstate.edu

What do I do for the next three months?

November 26th, 2023

Last year’s pursuit of a summer internship unfolded not as I had hoped. The decision-making process was full of complexities of weighing enticing opportunities against the practicality of moving to a new city for just a couple months. As I perused internship offers from various companies, each promising unique learning experiences that would surely help me in my future, I couldn’t shake the thought of what I would get paid. The city where the companies were headquartered played a role in my choice.

However, the reality was somewhat disheartening. The compensation offered by the prospective employers didn’t seem to align with the money I needed to make the move worth it, leaving me in a financial quandary. It wasn’t merely about earning a paycheck. It was about my own future.

Faced with these financial differences, I made a conscious choice to pass up the opportunities the internships would have given me in favor of maintaining financial stability. I stuck with my regular summer job. My job had a reliable income source that let me meet my financial commitments without having to uproot my life for what seemed like an insufficient compensation package.

As this summer looms on the horizon, I once again find myself at a crossroads, gearing up for the pursuit of the ideal internship. Equipped with insights gained from the past year, I approach the search with renewed determination. The experiences from the previous year have solidified my understanding of the significance of fair compensation—not just as a financial reward but as a testament to the value placed on interns’ contributions.

This time around, I’m ready to embrace the journey with enthusiasm, seeing each step as an opportunity for fun and learning. The lessons from last year have become a guide, shaping my approach to finding the perfect internship that aligns with both passion and the recognition interns deserve. The adventure continues, and I’m excited to see where this summer’s experiences will lead me.