Week 1: The Case for Recruitment & Selection

As discussed in the lecture, some companies find that finding the perfect candidate for the job is the most important. In this post I’m going to discuss why companies find other things (marketing, advertising, etc.) more valuable. Depending on what the company’s strengths are, what they need to invest in will vary.

Something else that’s vital to organizations, especially in sales, is marketing and advertising. Companies that want to sell their product to mass amounts of people need solid advertising to spread the word. By focusing on marketing and advertising, you have the opportunity to make connections with more customers or investors, bringing in more business/financial capital. If your company wants to focus more on making the best shoes in creation, they’re going to want to invest a lot into product design and less on finding the perfect employee.

By focusing on things other than finding the perfect employee, you have the opportunity to expand on other areas previously mentioned, which could potentially be a benefit to your company if that’s what it needs. Unfortunately, by choosing someone that’s the wrong fit for the job, you could lose money. If they’re overall bad at their job and selling as much as they should be, you’re losing money. If they’re bad enough that they need to get replaced, it costs extra to fire someone and hire a new person, so you’re losing even more money. I believe that it’s important to find an employee that’s a great fit mostly when dealing with customers/clients. Connections with others is a valuable asset and without it, bringing customers in won’t work.

3 thoughts on “Week 1: The Case for Recruitment & Selection

1. Hey Emily!
    I had very similar viewpoints in my post that I made. I felt that marketing was crucial to the success of a business. After taking a step back I realized that all part of the business are connected and in order for it to be successful you need to have a strong balance. My question for you is do you think that your expansion of business and strong selling capabilities is possible without the assistance of great recruiting? How can we sell a great product that we produced without a great sales team?

2. Emily,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. You brought out a lot of great points as to why many companies choose to focus more on their marketing department. It makes sense why they do so, that the way they will spread the word about their service/product. This also helps them financially because not only are they expanding but they could potentially get investors as well. Overall, love how you supported ever point why companies may rather choose to spend more money in a department than others.
    Patty Genaro

3. Hey Emily,
    I like how you highlighted the different priorities of companies and how they really do need to focus on other aspects if they want to industry leaders in shoes or really any other product. I agree that it’s important to assess what really matters as this can vary by industry. That opportunity cost you brought up also is a huge factor in deciding priorities. I think that this monetary value is a large motivator for companies and that these implicit things like the “right fit” or making connections go beyond a single numerical value.