SPRINT 1

Our project is Algorithmic Stock Market Trading Strategies for Individual Investors. Our objective is to build an app to help investors make sound investment decisions. I’m not at all familiar with trading but I’ve been wanting to learn more about it so this project came at the perfect time. We are currently in the first sprint of our project. For this sprint, there is a lot of work related to setting up and understanding the project so in this blog I will provide some details about our progress so far.

We have decided to use Flask to build our web app and possibly host it on Heroku. I have not worked with Flask before so this is an opportunity for me to learn something new. So, I went straight to YouTube to look for a helpful video. I used the video below to help me build a very basic To-do app and deploy it on Heroku. I recommend this video if you want to get a quick tutorial on Flask. Here is the website that I built by following the video: https://flaskintro.herokuapp.com/

Flask Tutorial

For our app, we will be using the QuantConnect LEAN engine to model our trading algorithm. I was able to get the engine set up and running on my computer but I will need more time to understand what it does. Perhaps I will write about it in a future blog post.

Another component of our web app is the database. After we get results from the LEAN engine, we need to store the results in a database and get it to display on our web app. As a group, we decided to go with MySQL for now but that can change as we get deeper into the project.

We are using Jira to track our tasks for each sprint. I think our plan for this sprint is solid. However, I feel little bit behind on my tasks for this sprint, especially for the tasks related to QuantConnect LEAN, so I’m planning on devoting substantial time in the next couple days to catch up.