12 Sept. 2015 – Bitter fruit

Last night, the PTYs and volunteers (including myself) were all trained in the processĀ for capturing civets, including data recording, taking vitals, and the overall flow of the medical procedure.

This morning, I worked with Sergio to set more bait for the monitor lizards, and, if needed, we would be called by Meg if a civet was captured, at which point we would go back to our boat and meet her and her team. After setting the last bait for the monitors, Serg got a text from Meg that no civets were found today, so we headed back to DG. At that time, Meg and her PTYs began tacking the civets by radio signal instead.

During our time in the forest this morning, Sergio and I were able to see multiple proboscis monkeys, but I wasn’t fast enough with my cameraas they passed through the canopy. Kila told me on our return that proboscis monkeys cannot eat sweet fruits, as a bacteria in their stomachs will react with the sugar and cause them to die, so they only eat young leaves and bitter fruits. Quite interesting creatures.

Side note– I mentioned pangolins the other day, and one of our camera traps just photographed one; not the best photo, but evidence that they are here!

Also, I’ve been able to try an assortment of new fruits since I’ve been here, including mangosteen (which looks similar on the outside to a persimmon, although that is where the similarities end), ramatan, and fresh lychee. Each of these three fruits look have the same translucent appearance on the inside to lychee (especially the lychee). I’m still waiting to try durian–I’ve heard that it’s flavor varies greatly depending on the type, and that it is an aquired taste (apart from Joe, all of the PTYs hate it).

Just booked my hostel in Sandakan for the 22nd, where I’ll be staying the night before my flight home–it’s hard to believe that it is only 10 days away. I’ll see you soon family.

Much love,

Isaac