20 Sept. 2015 – Time is running out

I helped Charlie finish some pitfalls for her reptile study this morning. Essentially, they are large flowerpots which have been placed in the ground for the animals to crawl/slither into, and not be able to easily escape. We then used some strips of tarpaulin to make a low fence, hoping to funnel snakes and lizards into the trap. While the pitfalls are open, they have to be checked every three hours, as reptiles will not survive long in them in this climate.

Charlie, Meg, and I reset the civet equipment, which requires the use of used cooking oil as bait (it appears as though the smell of french fries will attract more than customers at fast food restaurants), some small electronic noisemakers, to attract their attention from a distance, and camera traps, to see if they have been in the area. The six sets of equipment were placed in all-new locations recently, in a formation of two in the vicinity of each boat landing that we made, which made resetting go quite quickly.

It’s hard to imagine that tomorrow is my last day at DGFC. It has gone by so quickly. Though I am excited to go home and see my family (and then start classes and work on Monday), I will miss it here, especially the company.

One thought on “20 Sept. 2015 – Time is running out”

1. Isaac, it has been such a blessing to be able to read what you are getting to experience! I am so excited for you that you have been able to have this amazing adventure. What an incredible opportunity to really understand what you shared with me this morning, “people are basically all the same” . Although the culture is different, the environment is totally unlike home and the people you have gotten to work with are from all over the globe, the things we share are more universal than the things that make us different. We all want to be seen, to be acknowledged for who we truly are. We want to love and be loved. And we want to matter: to make a difference to others. I am so proud of the man you are and the ability you have to give others a picture of their intrinsic value, just like you did for Doyo. You make me very proud to be your mom.
    I can’t wait to see the pictures. I love you so much!