Oh, hi

I’m kind of curious how many self-intros I’ve written since going back to school. I guess I could just count how many courses I’ve taken so far but…too much work, not enough curiosity right now.

I think that a couple things about me that tend to raise eyebrows are the answers to “What’s your name?” and “Where do you live?”

There’s no Eastern European in my background. My dad got the name Nicholai from a book called Shibumi, and our last name of Moguet is an off-shoot spelling of an indigenous Filipino family name that he decided he liked better than the original.

I move around a lot and only spend enough time at my official address to keep my California residency. The timezones I’m in most often are PST, EST, and KST/JST, and my typical answer when asked where I live is “Yes.”

I’m a serial hobbyist and tend to do deep dives into anything that grabs my attention. There are fortunately/unfortunately more things that do than don’t. Some of the bigger or more recent ones in my life have been basketball, football, hiking, trail running, social politics, political philosophy, poker, finance, economics, technology, culture, and travel. No kids, but I do have this little guy:

Nicholai and Max

I’ve been fascinated with computers since I was maybe 10 or 11 when an uncle convinced my dad that we should get one. I would break it and then have to learn how to fix it, which probably led directly to my eventual career of IT support.

So far at OSU I’ve taken a chunk of the upper-division courses so far, including:

• Analysis of Algorithms
  • Intro to Usability Engineering
  • Software Engineering I and II
  • Programming Language Fundamentals
  • Intro to Parallel Programming
  • Intro to Databases

And I’m currently enrolled in:

• The Capstone course
  • Intro to Security
  • Intro to the Theory of Computation
  • Operating Systems I
  • Open Source Software

No work or internships for me. I quit my job back in 2020 to go back to school full-time, so this is currently all I do.

Of all the project listings, my favorite would be the NASA and IBM soil prediction model, but I don’t even come close to the minimum qualifications there. Hopefully, I can work with a group on the job hunting AI project, since that’s one of the more interesting and relevant ones to me. The travel planning project fits really well with my love of travel, but it’s not as interesting to me as a project about using AI for job searching.

Well, I think that’s it for now. Wish me luck!