IPIP Result & Reactions

After finishing all 300 questions, I received a thorough analysis under the 5 following personality categories: extraversion, agreeableness, conscientiousness, neuroticism, openness to experience. Each category is consisted of 6 specified subdomains used to asses one’s certain personality in different perspectives. In my case, scores for subdomains under the same category can be rather different. For example, I was scored 95 in sympathy and 47 in modesty, which cancel each other out and make my agreeableness falls into ‘average’。By taking multiple factors into consideration, I believe it can provide a much more comprehensive profile of one’ characters.
The results are overall disturbingly accurate, especially the fact that I was rated ‘high’ in neuroticism. It reflects my current mental state of high anxiety (scored 81) and extremely high self-consciousness (scored 91), which I could not notice myself or maybe even refuse to recognize. To look on the bright side, I was also rated ‘high’ in conscientiousness and openness to experience, receiving high scores (higher than 90) in following factors: Dutifulness (90), Achievement-Striving (92), Artistic Interests (90) and Adventurousness (95). It shows that I am a creative and result-delivering individual who is always welcoming challenges.

Looking into this report through recruiters/employers’ eyes, the candidate with high neuroticism figures may be considered as a bad team player with vulnerable mindset and lack the sense of gregariousness. On the other hand, some good qualities, such as responsibility, efficiency, creativeness and assertiveness, can also be observed. Candidates with such characters can become a quick learner and a hard worker once he/she set foot in workplaces. In general, the advantage and the disadvantage are both very clear: employers may be impressed by the high conscientiousness and openness, but also may get worried by the low cheerfulness and high anxiety. In the end, it depends on the applicability between the candidate and the specific position. After all, I believe the most essential work of recruiting is to put the right person in the right position. For example, high figure in openness to experience may appeal to certain industries like cultural organizations and innovation companies that consistently encourage their employees to break the rules and think outside of the box, while other traditional companies may take it as a shortcoming. Subdomains such as imagination and emotionality might strike them as instability and unrealistic. However, given the fact that I am a new graduate with very few working experiences, most companies may tend to value my capabilities to adjust and mental stability rather than other qualities.