Working Internationally

I think most people would consider this quite the opportunity, but I would consider it a major dilemma. I suppose a lot comes down to age, pay, career development, and even relationship status. I would likely only consider this opportunity if it were a very short-term job with a contract of 6 months or less, depending on vacation benefits. I would likely be most intrigued by two aspects: pay and enhanced benefits. I would expect some sort of spot bonus, cost of living adjustment, and relocation. If it were a true contract role for less than 6 months, it is unlikely I would receive the typical international benefits from a full-time, such as education, childcare, etc. It depends on the country and culture, but I would likely be intrigued more so by the cultural benefits of moving abroad. It’s likely that the foreign vacation policy would not apply for such a short contract, but that would be an additional benefit to consider (since most countries have much longer vacation policies than the United States).

I mentioned pay and enhanced benefits being my top 2 priorities, but career advancement would be another to make my top 3. I would be interested in taking on an international move if it meant taking on some sort of advanced, leadership role. For example, my husband was offered a 6-month contract in Austrailia early on in his career with his previous company to lead the implementation of new software at the company’s Sydney office. It was an awesome, career-advancing opportunity that he wouldn’t have been able to take on with his role at the time in the United States. Essentially, I would consider taking the job if I would not have access to such responsibility in my current role, enhanced benefits, and significantly increased pay.