Week 11: June 6-10

This was my first 40 hour week at the FIC and it was definitely a very fun one. Another intern and I got to participate in a noodle class which a couple of people from international companies. The first day was mostly classes and pairing up into the groups that we would have for the rest of the week. My partner was a man who owned a company in India. On day two in the morning we made our noodles. I did not really know what to expect of the noodle process since there are many ways to make noodles but I was surprised to find that when all the ingredients were mixed into the dough that the dough was still a crumble and that it did not really stick together. But once it went through a machine to compress the ingredients and then stretch it into a sheet, the dough became very strongly bound and almost gum like in texture. The noodles we made were a ramen noodle fried into dried bricks of noodles. On the second part of day one through the morning of day four we switched between classes and working in the lab on formulating a seasoning packet that would be paired with the noodles. Since my group had extra time on the noodle making morning we ended up with two varieties of noodles to work with. It was interesting to see how cultures differ in terms of flavor profiles. In the end we ended up with two flavors tomato basil and spicy garlic. Both of which had some spice to them making your mouth burn if you were to eat a whole bowl of noodles. We also had to come up with a name as a group for our noodles, we went with the one my partner decided upon which was Dingle Noodles. Personally I do not think a product of this name would work well in the U.S. but that could be different for other cultures which don’t have double meanings for words and such.                              IMG_20160609_142738691(1) IMG_20160609_142614735_HDR