Featured Alumna: Jessica Keys ’04

Jessica completed her M.S. in the MRM program in 2004.  Her graduate research focused on public involvement in the U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy decision-making process.  Also during her time at OSU Jessica was an editor for the College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences newsletter and an Ocean Conservancy Ecosystem Manager.

Upon graduation Jessica worked in both government and NGO positions.  She worked for five years as a Natural Resources Policy advisor to Oregon Governor Kulongoski.  Her responsibilities in this role included providing disaster assistance to economically distressed salmon fishermen, collaborating with California and Washington on ocean conservation and science, and developing wave energy projects along Oregon’s coast.

She transitioned into a position as a Senior Policy Advisor with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Washington, D.C. where she reported to the Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere.  Jessica worked with the White House and diverse federal entities to implement the National Ocean Policy.

In a move that brought Jessica back to Oregon she accepted a position with the strategic positioning firm Strategies 360 as the Senior Vice President of the Oregon Office.

View her thesis here

JKeys_Photo_MRM_Alumjpg

About Michelle Fournet

I'm a PhD student in ORCAA using passive acoustic monitoring and array localization to understand the role of non-song vocalizations in humpback whale communication, and the assess the impact of vessel noise on humpback communication. I'm an admitted baleen whale junkie (no hard feelings to the dolphin-killer-whale-sperm-whale folk out there). I'm also keen on terrestrial acoustics, cultural transmission, animal cognition, and species resilience. When I'm not working on data or in the field you can find me hiking with my dogs or tending to my garden. Follow my work at: www.mfournet.wordpress.com
This entry was posted in Alumni and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.