Managing Stress At Work

Stress is something everyone encounters sooner or later. Stress can sometimes be good or bad depending on the scenario. And can even result in negative outcomes anxiety, depression, high blood pressure, alcohol abuse. But it’s important we understand that stressors can sometimes be mitigated. During the stress inventory survey I realized that I maybe have to much on my plate. And the survey suggests that I have an 80% chance of a health break down in 2 years according to the Holmes Rahe statistical prediction model. Which is kinda scary to think about.

But I also understand that there is good stressors and there is bad stressors. There is challenge stressors and there is hindrance stressors. Which I believe that majority of my stressors are challenging because they are scenario where I am seeking growth and opportunities for myself. But sometimes this can be overwhelming I am not gonna lie. But the way I have approached and will continue to manage stress in my professional career is by focusing on the issue, and limiting my emotions. I think the best way to solve stress is by attacking the problem, how can we break it down to see a better and bigger picture. And to always focus one problem at a time. Getting frustrated and angry will not resolve the problem, it will most likely just make your body tense.

After doing a little digging and reading I found that current health conditions and concerns for companies include and are not limited to insomnia, heart problems, and dermatological disorders. Some of the issues correlated to stressors in the workplace include but are not limited is long hours, heavy workload, tight deadlines, lack of autonomy, lack of equipment, and lack of training. All these should be concerns for management because a stressed employee is not an engaged employee. This means performance will begin to decline sooner rather later.

To mitigate these stressors it’s essential that organizations focus on safe work environment, employees are properly trained, hiring extra staff rather forcing overtime, and recognize employees demand at home. Some of the most well known companies like Nike, Airbnb, Apple and other are putting their own spice to fighting employee stress, by providing yoga classes, relaxation rooms, and 30 minutes of meditation. These examples can also be known as mental well-being offerings.

Citations

Department of Health & Human Services. (2001, September 27). Work-related stress. Better Health Channel. Retrieved November 22, 2022, from https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/work-related-stress

Kununu, E. at. (2019, October 11). Unique ways top companies help their employees manage stress. Ladders. Retrieved November 22, 2022, from https://www.theladders.com/career-advice/unique-ways-top-companies-help-their-employees-manage-stress