Personal and Organizational Stress Management

After I completed the calculation for the “Life Stress Inventory,” I figured that I am not in the best spot because my score was pretty high. I think that this is normal given my current life circumstances. I had a tough few months so I was not surprised by this score.

When I finished the “Coping and Stress Management Skills Test” I figured that I was using problem-focused coping mechanisms, and when I completed the “Type A Personality Test” I came out to be a pretty impatient and irritable person which is completely opposite of who I am on regular basis.

From the tests mentioned above, I learned that I am a pretty stressed out person at the moment, that I get irritated quick, and that my coping strategy is problem-focused coping which means that I am looking for solutions and that is the only way that I can make a peace with myself (if I tried to find a solution). This is hard because some things might be out of my control but in my nature is to try everything to control the environment. Therefore, if that happens I might need to consult someone with better coping mechanisms. I am usually a very calm person but at this moment I had too many events/stressors, so to fix this I should learn new coping strategies and talk to people around me that know how to deal with stress in order to help me.

When it comes to organizations, they try to help employees to manage their stress by “encouraging workplace wellbeing, improving work environment (e.g. Amazon with its botanic offices in Seattle), allowing flexible hours and remote work (this happened a lot during COVID-19), encouraging social activity (creating activities outside of work to improve teamwork and to bring people together), creating quite a time, providing counseling, and by recognizing employees” (Ryba, 2019). All of these strategies are important for the productivity of the company or the organization.

Reference:

Ryba, K. (n.d.). 7 simple ways to reduce stress in the workplace. Employee Engagement Software. https://www.quantumworkplace.com/future-of-work/7-ways-employees-can-reduce-stress-in-the-workplace.