Week 6 Blog Assignment

Last fall, I took a Business Law class that I found very helpful and interesting. My professor used real-world examples almost every single class to give context to what we were learning, which was helpful to me in actually understanding the material. I still remember a lot of the topics we covered because they have a connection to the real world in my brain. I also liked the class because the professor actually cared about us outside of the classroom, and she encouraged us to make real connections with each other. She checked in with us almost every week to make sure we were doing well in all our classes and not feeling too overwhelmed. She put us in groups often and gave us the freedom to relate to the class in any way we saw fit. It fostered a really collaborative environment and made us all close on a level beyond what I have in my normal classes.

This term, I am taking a Business Information Systems class that is not as effective or interesting as Business Law was. Interestingly, my professor provides lots of real-world examples in this class as well. I think the difference between Business Law and BIS is that my Business Law professor involved us in the examples and let us give our input and discuss them with classmates. My BIS professor just puts them in the slides, talks through them, and then moves on. Additionally, I get the sense that my BIS professor doesn’t have much respect for us in general. He treats us like students, not people. It’s obvious that he doesn’t respect our opinions or our thoughts that we voice in class. No matter how interesting the content may be, none of us want to learn from him.

I think this proves why interpersonal training and socialization are so important. Connecting with other students and the professor on a deeper level makes class so much more meaningful and enjoyable, and the same goes for work. Both are not just places we go to get things done; they also provide much of our social life as adults. I think trainings should reflect this and encourage employees to collaborate with others to get the socialization they need. Encouraging employees to form bonds with coworkers that go beyond just surface-level can make them happier and more likely to stay when times get tough. It also makes work more memorable and meaningful, which is the goal at the end of the day.