My Personal Brand

When I brand myself to potential employers, I strive to put off the impression that I am a young professional who is extremely driven. When applying for a role, in addition to my resume, I provide a one-pager, which is essentially a visual document to provide more about me beyond my professional and academic achievements. I try to utilize my one-pager and resume as a way to present my personal brand to employers before meeting them in person for an interview. My one-pager includes a visual showing my short term and long term career goals which displays my ambition to future employers.

I think one of my biggest strengths is being confident in the actual interview and leveraging that confidence to build rapport quickly. I use a firm handshake as well as eye contact to help build this rapport.

To creatively brand myself to a potential employer, I would like to utilize a build-your-own website tool such as wix.com, to create a website that is focused on presenting myself to potential employers. I would use this to present my education, work history, work examples, and more about myself through a visually appealing site. This in itself would likely give off the impression that you’re creative as well as that you think outside of the box.

I would want to site to flow in a way where the viewer is not having to click around a lot to see the different aspects of the site. It’d be created in a way where the viewer can continuously scroll to learn about me. The content would be listed in a strategic way that would build my personal brand as the reader scrolled. My main goal would be that the reader doesn’t view reading the site as an inconvenience, but that its an experience they’d enjoy and would be memorable.

3 thoughts on “My Personal Brand”

1. Hey Kayla,
    Its great that your biggest strength is confidence! I actually find that to be a weakness of mine, so I’m always looking to learn from confident people. Also your idea of something called a “one-pager” is interesting, Ive never heard of that before.

2. Kayla,
    That is a really awesome way to brand yourself! It’s definitely a way to stand out from other applicants and helps enhance you brand. I typically struggle with promoting myself, because I hate talking about myself. I try to be hard working and let my work speak for itself. Creating a website is a nice way to personalize yourself without making the interviewer feel overwhelmed. The way I like to brand myself is through videos. This gives people a glance of the work I do in a fast paced environment. Nice job on your blog!

3. Hi Kayla,

I think it’s a great idea to also have a one-pager on hand to show potential employers. Since this is a new concept to me, I’m visualizing something between a cover letter and a resume. If you’re willing, I would love to see a copy of your current one-pager as this may be a tool I would also utilize.

Your idea to create a website aligns well with your one-pager concept. Not only could you list your website on your one-pager, but you could also have it printed on a variety of things (i.e. business cards) to further disperse your site at networking and other events.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts this week!
    Courtney