Typical vs Maximal Performance

1. If you were in the shoes of the business owner and had to choose which person would you hire (Avery or Jaime) and why?

If I was the business owner in this situation, the most likely person I would hire is Jaime. This is due to the fact that I know I can rely on Jaime to give me her best everyday versus someone like Avery who may not be giving his best even though he has a high ceiling. The reason for this is because of a decision matrix I’ve seen that the U.S. military uses. Decision matrix that is based on the same exact circumstances in this situation where you have the X-axis on one side, “the trustworthiness/consistency of a person” and the Y-axis “their ability to perform.” Basically everyone wants the high performing, high trustworthiness person but if you had to choose between high performing or high trustworthiness, the military goes with the more trustworthy person 10/10 times. I think someone like Avery should still be in the running for the job though as I feel like if you can teach someone like Avery what a work ethic can do for you, he can be a stellar employee.

• Describe a type of job where it would be better to hire someone like Avery (i.e., high potential, poor consistency) than Jaime? What is it about that job that makes someone like Avery more valuable than Jaime?

A job that has a high talent need would most likely be the best type of job for Avery because he has the skills needed to perform this job. Although he may not be consistent, he should still be a decent choice because of his ability.

• Describe a type of job where it would be better to hire someone like Jaime (i.e., low potential, high consistency) than Avery? What is it about that job that makes someone like Jaime more valuable?

A job like a secretary position would be best for Jaime because even though the job isn’t hard, you still need someone dependable to keep you on track which is what Jaime is.