Week 4

The first part of the week I was busy measuring crayfish. This seemed like it should be a quick task but let me tell you it was not. We collected so many crayfish from week two it was overwhelming. After two days of measuring I was only halfway done.

On Wednesday I went on a field day with Dave downriver of the John Day to Mule Shoe Park and a public access road near Kimberly, OR.  Our goal was to go downriver where the rusty crayfish has been more recently cited indicating that this could be more of an invasive front. We used the same process from the previous collection to capture the crayfish at the two different sites. This time we caught dramatically a lower number. We only caught 14 crayfish. Most of the traps came up empty though all of the caught crayfish where the invasive rusty crayfish. So far we have not caught any native species. I am curious if there is still any native species are left.

Later in the week I decided to take a break from measuring crayfish and finished my week with pinning bees. The bees we were pinning were from week two collection from Boardman.

On Friday Dave showed me the experimental ponds that were set up last year. I have to fill these ponds every week. No experiments will be performed with these but addition of water is necessary to keep the aquatic organism alive for future use. Below is are pictures of these ponds.

week 4 ponds  week 4 pponds 2