No desire to be the sage on the stage

In all of my years of education (too many to count), I have only truly experienced one professor that truly was a “sage on the stage” – son of a Southern Baptist preacher, he had inherited “the gift” and he could connect with the audience in a meaningful way when talking about anything or nothing at all.  Interestingly, he was the professor for an AgEd course focused on alternative teaching methods and was a major criticizer calling “lecture” to lowest form of instruction and the least effective way to learn.  I try to avoid the “lecture” as much as possible and I am excited about reorganization of Food Law to force the creation of a “lecture-minimal” course.  I am the most interested in designing course modules and assignments that lead to more student-led learning, especially in groups.  I am intrigued by the idea of having groups create wikis; I believe this is an assignment that could be very useful for our course.  Has anyone of you used these in the past?  If so, do you have examples of instructions and/or rubrics?

2 Responses to No desire to be the sage on the stage

1. Cub Kahn says:

Joy, here’s an interesting University of Wisconsin-Stout webpage that’s a compendium of rubrics, including a pretty detailed wiki rubric and a good blog rubric: http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/rubrics.cfm

Though some of the rubrics on this site are clearly oriented for K-12 education, many are usable or easily adaptable for higher ed.

2. joy says:

Thank you for the link to the wiki rubric! These provide an excellent basis for the grading scheme I was daydreaming about!

I just realized that I didn’t put any tags on my blog…..is there a way to fix that?