Pitfalls of Online Course Development

After reading the 5 pitfalls, I realized that I have made most of these in the past and most likely would have continued to do so. Posting readings, discussion questions, assignments, quizzes, exams, PP slides…all of this I have done many times. But I never really thought about casting off the classroom constraints and embracing a much more liberating format that online offers. For example, after considering something that could take place online that may not work in the classroom, I thought about having students post photos that they take themselves and do an analysis of what others have posted as well. Upload a visual (photo) of nature. What message is transmitted when comparing the photos? Are there any humans in these photos? Why/why not?

Approaching the topic of the Nature -Culture dichotomy in this fashion is something that I wouldn’t necessarily do in class, though I have had students draw a picture of a park to see how they interpret that concept. I’ve decided that I really need to re-think how I’ve utilized Bb in my courses in the past and what kinds of communication tools can be used in this format. I need to stretch my imagination in order to come up with some new activities that students can perform as part of their learning process.

This entry was posted in Hybrid Course Content, Hybrid Course Delivery, Hybrid Course Design and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.