BBQ PULLED JACKFRUIT TACOS
Cook time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
- 2 (14-ounce) cans jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1.Drain jackfruit and pat dry.
2. Partially shred jackfruit chunks into smaller pieces, using a fork or your fingers.
3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño and cook for an additional 1 minute, until the garlic is fragrant.
4. Add the shredded jackfruit to the pan with the onions and stir well. Add the barbecue sauce, cumin, oregano, coriander, smoked paprika and salt to the pan.
Stir to evenly distribute the spices and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes, or until the jackfruit is browned and slightly crisped around the edges.
5. Fold in the orange zest.
6. Assemble the tacos: Warm the tortillas and add a large spoonful of cooked jackfruit to the center of each. Top with avocado, cilantro, cabbage, and a squeeze of lime.