Get To Know Our Staff: Breonna

Name: Breonna

Pronouns: She/Her

HSRC Job Title: Volunteer Food Pantry Liaison

Major/minor: Human Rights and Government with a minor in Social Justice

Career Aspirations: I hope to help those who don’t always have the power to help themselves on a personal and/or bureaucratic level. I’m not sure what that exactly looks like yet, but I want to help people.

Why did you want to work at the HSRC? I wanted to work at the HSRC to get more involved with the Oregon State community as well as translate my major into a career. I believe people fall into unfortunate circumstances often times at no fault of their own and I feel obligated to help, however possible.

What will you be working on? I’ll be working on recruiting volunteers to help at our food pantries. I hope to inspire volunteers to return and see the difference they’re making while working hands-on in their community. I’ll also be working with organizations to host various food drives throughout the year.

What do you like to do in your free time? I don’t come across free time often but when I do I like to have board game nights with friends. It’s nostalgic playing childhood games and a casual way to hang out with friends without spending money! I also love plants. I like to visit Susan’s Garden and Coffee Shop. 

What’s your favorite yummy and cheap meal that you like to make? I love cottage cheese stuffed tomatoes. Scoop out the insides of a tomato into a bowl, fry some veggies (I like to do mushrooms, onions and sometimes bell peppers) combine all of that with the cottage cheese, stuff the tomato and then finish it off with a 10 minute broil in the oven. Ahhh-mazing.

Do you have any tips for students on how to save money? I have a money jar that I put spare change or dollars in. If I have a few dollar bills, I just toss it into the jar. It has really helped me when I’ve been desperate for money.

What are your favorite things to do in Corvallis? My favorite thing to do in Corvallis is going to Avery Park when the weather is nice. You can swim in the river, hammock at the park or walk through the rose garden.

Where is your favorite spot to relax on campus? The College of Liberal Arts has to have one of my favorite lounges. I like the quiet atmosphere and the location.

What is your favorite movie and why? My favorite movie is Moulin Rouge, I love Baz Luhrmann movies. The singing and hopeless romance get me in my feels. It’s also just a very different plot than most musical love stories.