Oregon State University|blogs.oregonstate.edu
Blog Owner
Blogger Name

Blog Post 3

May 5th, 2023

This far into the project I can see that we’ve made a lot of progress in terms of getting the skeleton well defined. At this point, we’ve created all of the necessary functions for our individual team members to branch out and start taking on individual tasks. My primary concerns so far have been setting up a lot of the helper functions that allow for us to do that. However, I definitely want to recognize my teammates as they have helped flesh out, test, implement static analysis into our Project.

I have used Github, but never in a professional environment and definitely not in a group of this size. I’m not super familiar with fixing merge conflicts because usually I’m the only one making changes in the repos/files to begin with. This has been a bit of a learning curve for me but I’ve been glad to pick it up. Our team has been consistently pulling the repos to be up to date and usually send an advance notice when they’re planning on pushing/merging their code. This gives us time to review and add comments that help us resolve/understand the changes and the code that was added. We haven’t really had any outstanding issues that don’t get resolved within a few days. The only thing of note, we decided was a low priority. The checks that we run don’t accept magic numbers so we have to add //NOLINT whenever using a number that hasn’t been defined as a variable elsewhere. Overall, we’re on track to complete the project and don’t foresee anything that will stall us.

Our primary form of communication has been Discord, this app has always been a blessing even back when I played video games with friends. I think its easy to get started with it because most people are familiar with Discord. While there are definitely other apps like Teams or Slack, everyone from our group had an account for Discord already created. It’s been easy to schedule meetings and have a Voice Chat which helps us come to a decision a lot quicker. This tool has been priceless so far; Github of course is the biggest start as it allows us to all work on the same codebase at the same time.