My Interview

Last week I had an interview for a company unlike anything i’d experienced before. In the past, my experience with interviews was skewed, since I always knew the employers before applying for the job. This was my first time interviewing with a large company who they used tactics I hadn’t seen before. The bulk of the interview was spent talking about the company instead of myself. They broke down the structure of the company after giving me a detailed backstory on how it was founded. The thing that grabbed my attention the most was their promotion process. They emphasized that there is never a ceiling for promotions, and if the company needs to grow to create more positions for those who earn them, they will. This made me realize that I could achieve my overall goal of creating a long lasting career within the company. They spoke very highly of their values throughout all of this which made me want to join their team even more. When it came to discussing myself, they focused more on the qualities I have as a person, rather than what knowledge I actually know. This made think back to the google article where Laszlo Bock, the senior vice president of people operations, states ” G.P.A.’s are worthless as a criteria for hiring, and test scores are worthless. … We found that they don’t predict anything” (Friedman). The company never once asked how well I do in school or what qualities make me a better than the other candidates. By not having this type of questioning, the interview environment remains more positive, and better outcomes will from it. I wouldn’t advise this company to do anything with their interview process other than keep it exactly the way it is.

Work Cited:

Friedman, Thomas L. “How to Get a Job at Google.” The New York Times, The New York Times, 22 Feb. 2014, https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/opinion/sunday/friedman-how-to-get-a-job-at-google.html.