Summer undergraduate research projects in theory

“In theory” as in “in theoretical computer science”.

I am lucky to have a student through the CRA-W Distributed Research Experiences for Undergraduates program. Anna Harutyunyan joins me for 10 weeks from Utah State University.  I think it might be more of a learning experience for me than Anna (although my opinion is biased) and I appreciate Anna’s patience through my own growing pains as an advisor.  Hopefully there haven’t been too many pains.

Anna is working on a generalization of the string alignment problem.  I have an idea for an algorithm, and I have an idea of how one might analyze that algorithm, but it uses tools in which I am not so well versed.  In addition to reading up on these tools, Anna has implemented the algorithm.  This is not something I am in the habit of doing, but it is very satisfying to see an algorithm “work” when you are stuck on how to analyze it.

That said, my expectations for “proving something” with Anna are low – how does one prove something in 10 weeks?  With a new project, I feel that the chance of proving something in such a short amount of time is next to impossible.  With a project well underway, there is a much better chance, but there is a lot of start-up time involved in learning the state of affairs.  So I’m torn as to whether to start a new project with a summer student or include them on parts of an existing project.  The former must give the student a stronger sense of ownership over the work; the latter a better chance for the feeling of accomplishment.

Has anyone out there had luck or have advice on picking theory topics for research projects?

While my main goal is for Anna to have a positive experience this summer, at the very least I am having a wonderful time.  Anna has had some wonderful ideas that I know would not have dawned on me – it’s exciting!  I can’t wait to exploit educate more young minds.

One thought on “Summer undergraduate research projects in theory

1. Pingback: GORDON