BA 448 Job Application Experience

The last job that I applied for was for a position in a management trainee program for a company that specialized in power tools. I initially applied for the job through a career fair, so it wasn’t something I sought out and applied for. During the career fair, they made it seem like a great opportunity and a good chance to grow. It also seemed like a good place to start your professional career right out of college. During the initial conversation about the program they really didn’t mention specifics about exactly what I would be doing, but they highlighted the autonomy of how I could pursue a career in the business. After speaking to them, we scheduled an interview.

The day of the interview, I was really not that anxious about it because after I went home and thought about it more, management trainee programs did not appeal to me and seemed like a place where you needed to be there forever in order to progress. When I got to the location of the interview, the interviewer showed up 30 minutes late to the interview. This caused me to care less about the interview and think more about the professionalism of the company.

Finally, when he arrived, he brought out a piece of paper that had questions, checkboxes, and big spaces to write. Whenever he would ask me a question he would sigh and basically roll his eyes back as if it was a burden that he was interviewing me. On top of that, he would never write anything down and would occasionally check one of the boxes. When I asked questions about the business he was not enthusiastic at all either. Digging for more information about the Poisson I found out I would be working on the sales floor at Home Depot for two years and that was something I definitely didn’t want to do. After finding that out I really didn’t care about the outcome of the interview or didn’t care if I got the job or not because from my experience I wouldn’t have accepted the position.

What is even better is that OSU continues to have the same career fair with the same companies, even companies like this that waste applicants’ times. This story shows that the hiring portion of a business is also a sales position because you want to be able to convince people that this is a company that you actually want to work for.

4 replies on “BA 448 Job Application Experience”

Hey Faris,

After reading your post I can tell you had a poor application and interview experience with that company. It always makes it much worse from the applicants perspective when the interviewer doesn’t show any enthusiasm during the interview. In your case, it seemed like they did not have any interest in you as a person, but more as just another employee in their sales force. I think its great you knew that position was not right for you, and you deserve to work for a company who respects you and your skills. I enjoyed reading your post, thank you for sharing!

Hi Faris!
This seems like a very frustrating experience. If they were actually interested in hiring you, they did not do a very good job of showing it. I have never had an interviewer act that disengaged, I’m sorry you had to go through that. I’m glad it wasn’t a position you were very invested in though! They should really vet the businesses they bring into the career fairs better.

Hi Faris,

I think it’s unfortunate that your experience went poorly with this company, but it’s great that you were able to learn from it. You were able to get a feel for the company and you knew yourself well enough to know it wouldn’t be a good fit. Even though the interview wasn’t conducted well you still went through the process and got more experience which never hurts!

It was sad to hear that you got a bad interview experience with the company. It seems that the interviewer represents the company and does not really want to hire you so he/she did not show any enthusiasm on you. I think you can get a better job and interview in the future! Thanks for sharing.