Did you hear? The Sustainability Office is hiring a Student Policy Coordinator!
The window to apply for this position is now closed. We are still recruiting for a Digital Marketing and Outreach Intern- more info here.
We’re looking for a part-time student employee to work with campus stakeholders to support policies and actions that reduce OSU’s carbon footprint, and create a more sustainable and equitable university!
Anyone with experience in advocating for tangible changes, a desire to work through campus processes at the highest level, and a commitment to making OSU a more sustainable community is encouraged to apply.
Position Duties include:
- Supporting policies and actions that reduce OSU’s carbon emissions
- Managing the voluntary carbon offsets program
- Researching and developing a potential institutional internal carbon price
- Working with campus stakeholder groups to promote and implement practices that reduce emissions and promote environmental/climate justice
- Partnering with ASOSU, the OSU Foundation, the Faculty Senate Carbon Commitment Committee, and other campus units to advance efforts that reduce carbon emissions and promote sustainability.
- Identifying OSU policies and procedures that may impede OSU’s carbon reduction efforts and research and develop options to improve them.
- Tracking legislation and other external factors that potentially impact OSU, such as greenhouse gas reduction limits.
Work schedule can be somewhat flexible, but must remain responsive to workload. The successful candidate will work 10-15 hours per week during the academic year and 15-30 hours per week during summer.
- Clear and consistent communication and excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience with policy research and implementation
- Excellent precision, attention to detail, timeliness and organizational skills
- Public speaking and/or presentation skills
- Project management and volunteer coordination experience
- Public policy and/or planning coursework
- Knowledge of State legislative processes
- Exposure to university procedures
- Familiarity with carbon reduction practices, such as general knowledge of carbon offsets, carbon reduction building renovations, etc.
- Personal commitment to and general knowledge of basic sustainability principles
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
Previous students in this position have had the opportunity to:
- Work with the OSU Foundation to plan fundraising activities that support reducing campus carbon emissions
- Work with campus stakeholders to plan and implement a carbon offsets program for university travel
- Learn about the inner-workings of the university
- Attend sustainability conferences to learn about nationwide higher education sustainability efforts
- Work with campus partners to develop a framework for implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles with an emphasis on environmental/climate justice
- Participate in power purchase agreement (PPA) discussions with OSU and the local utility
- Tour campus buildings that are undergoing retro-commissioning projects
Still not convinced? Well, you also get to work with a fun and engaged team of people who are super passionate about sustainability and making real change!
Questions? Contact email@example.com