Gear Up for the 5th Annual Car Free Day in Corvallis!
This year’s Car Free Festival will take place Sunday, September 21st, at Riverfront Park in Corvallis with Car Free Day following on Monday the 22nd.
On Sunday, there will be back to back events from 1-4 pm including music, food, kid’s activities, information booths, games and more.
Every attendee will receive Car Free goodies; a bandanna, arm band, head band, or streamer to hang from your bike or back pack to let everyone know you’re getting there car free. There will also be a collection area at the festival for people to donate athletic shoes through Five Star Sports. Wearable shoes go to Africa for re-use and unusable shoes go to Nike for grinding up and recycling.
Before the festival, there will be a car-free themed story time at the Central Park gazebo at 12:30 pm hosted by the Corvallis Public Library. This will be followed by a celebratory parade from Central Park to Riverfront Park, accompanied by a police escort.
This family-friendly event will give everyone a chance to gear up for Car Free Day, which is a great opportunity to learn about, and take advantage of, the abundant transportation options available in our community. You can even take a Car Free Day Pledge here.
On Car Free Day, Monday, Sept. 22, join the community and people all over the globe for a day of walking, biking, or taking public transit. There will be neighborhood checkpoints throughout Corvallis where you can join your neighbors for free food, drinks, transportation information, and bike safety checks.
Below is a list of the 8 Neighborhood Checkpoints. You can view them in map form here.
- First Alternative Co-op South (1007 SE 3rd at Chapman Place)
- Skate Park (at 2nd Street and “B” Avenue, under the highway bypass)
- Western View Center (35th Street near SW Philomath Blvd.)
- First Alternative Co-op North (2855 NW Grant Avenue at 29th Street)
- Corvallis High School (1400 NW Buchanan Avenue on 11th Street side)
- NW Hills Community Church (3300 NW Walnut Blvd., west of 29th)
- Crossroads Christian Fellowship (2555 NW Highland Drive at Walnut – SE corner)
- Cheldelin Middle School (987 NE Conifer Blvd.)
Whether you’re looking to save money, reduce your energy use, or simply enjoy the health and social benefits of being car free, you are invited to participate in Car Free Day. You won’t want to miss it!