Job Application Experience(s)

Being one who was seeking an internship this past summer, I spent countless hours applying for jobs and preparing for interviews. I interacted with a handful of companies during the process, all of which were very different from one another. The interview processes themselves were very unique to each company.

A few interviews I had were very unorganized. I found myself disappointed when an interview I hopeful for was so poorly structured, as I believe the hiring process is a reflection of the company. I was really interested in working for a specific company, but the interview was a big let down. If an interview can’t manage to be somewhat organized, this makes me question how (un)organized the overall company may be.

Another interview I had was very professional, which was reassuring, but also made me nervous. I knew I had to be on my A-game the second I stepped into the office. The interview went much longer than I planned but I left feeling great about how it went. I knew exactly what the position entailed and what would be expected of me on a daily basis. I felt like I was a good fit for the company from all that I had learned. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the job, but the interview process served as great practice for my career development.

A few of the interviews I took more time to prepare for, while others I briefly touched on the vague details previously given to me. Some of the companies gave me strict guidelines on what to prepare for the interview(s). I appreciated this because I am the type of person who prefers a set of instructions with little ambiguity. Other companies said little to nothing about what to expect for the interview, which are the ones I took the most time to prepare for. Although this didn’t directly impact my thoughts on the company itself and working for it, I do think it was an important part of my job application process.

Overall, I am grateful for the various job application process I encountered last summer. While some were better than others, they all gave me an experience I wouldn’t have had otherwise. I was able to grow and sharpen my interview skills, which we know is always beneficial.