Extra Credit – Blog Post #1 

In this blog post, I want to talk about WordPress and how navigating the platform at the beginning of CS 461 has helped me reach the point where I can create static sites as part of the freelance work I do on the side as well as for my main job. Initially, we were required to create posts on here at least bi-monthly for CS 461, then less frequently in CS 462, and now, in CS 463, blog posts seem to be a way to get extra credit. I have never written a blog prior to this class, which may be hard to believe since I took plenty of AP English courses in high school and a few writing and language arts courses in college during my earlier college years. However, I was never interested in writing my thoughts down; I haven’t been the type to ever keep a consistent journal either. Although, there are many uses for a blog; I should probably create one for my art projects and to showcase my paintings. Maybe someone will come across it and try to buy a painting or two.. anyway, I started getting interested in WordPress’ different uses, especially discovering how I could create websites from scratch with no code required. At the beginning of CS 461, this was a relief, as I was not skilled in creating websites with code (and I still struggle with that). I familiarized myself with WordPress website tools and soon enough I began applying for some freelance work on Upwork, building basic static sites for clients. My most recent project was creating a WooCommerce WordPress site for a client selling disclosure data to the public based on various price plans/packages. This site was more difficult to create for me, as it required something more than a static site; it needed a built-in pricing plan structure, plus the ability to process payments via credit cards on the site. I also set up an AI bot on the site that potential users can interact with and are greeted by on the site. Now I feel more confident in my skills in at least putting together basic sites with the help of WordPress. I am grateful to have discovered WordPress through my journey at OSU, and especially in CS 461.